CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 21, 2009

Gestational Diabetes....

Well, good news is the baby is having a great time in my belly moving and kicking, and literally one night he was scratching me (that's exactly what it felt like...kinda freaked me out he's scratching out my uterus!!!) ...and the bad news is I have gestational diabetes. They say that there's nothing really that I could have done to get it, it just happens thru the genes. But now I have to control it thru diet/exercise and taking my sugar levels with needles...eek. I see the Dietician tomorrow and we'll talk about a diet for me to go on to control it, if that doesn't work, then I will have to take insulin shots...double eek. Hopefully Garth can do that for his devoted, loving, caring, pregnant wife.


Usually the baby comes out healthy and the mother doesn't have gestational diabetes anymore, but it's an onset of what could happen in the future for me with diabetes. So after this baby is born, I vow to get healthy and fit (hmm...hopefully I'll actually do it)

My feelings when I first heard the news were devastated, I came home crying hysterically, Garth thought there was something wrong with the baby, but after he translated my blubbering, he knew that was not the case. (I felt bad for scaring him!) but it's just the idea of needles everyday and the hassle of it all. So no sending me chocolates or candies until AFTER I have the baby! hehe
I did lay in my bed for most of that day just sad and depressed and oh-woe-is-me like.

Now that I've sucked it up and have started this process I'm ok with it, as long as this baby is healthy that's all we care about!!!!


Here is a little info on Gestational diabetes if you want to read:

What is gestational diabetes?

This is a type of diabetes that some women develop during pregnancy. Between 2 and 7 percent of expectant mothers develop this condition, making it one of the most common health problems of pregnancy.

When you eat, your digestive system breaks most of your food down into a type of sugar called glucose. The glucose enters your bloodstream and then — with the help of insulin, a hormone made by your pancreas — provides fuel for the cells of your body. Like the type 1 and type 2 diabetes you can get when you're not pregnant, gestational diabetes causes the glucose to stay in your blood instead of moving into your cells and getting converted to energy. Why does this sometimes happen when you're pregnant?

During pregnancy, your hormones make it tougher for your body to use insulin, so your pancreas needs to produce more of it. For most moms-to be, this isn't a problem: As your need for insulin increases, your pancreas dutifully secretes more of it. But when a woman's pancreas can't keep up with the insulin demand and her blood glucose levels get too high, the result is gestational diabetes.

Most women with gestational diabetes don't remain diabetic once the baby is born. Once you've had it, though, you're at higher risk for getting it again during a future pregnancy and for becoming diabetic later in life.




....and here is what baby is doing now...29 weeks along:

Your baby now weighs about 2 1/2 pounds (like a butternut squash) and is a tad over 15 inches long from head to heel. His muscles and lungs are continuing to mature, and his head is growing bigger to make room for his developing brain. To meet his increasing nutritional demands, you'll need plenty of protein, vitamins C, folic acid, and iron. And because his bones are soaking up lots of calcium, be sure to drink your milk (or find another good source of calcium, such as cheese, yogurt, or enriched orange juice). This trimester, about 250 milligrams of calcium are deposited in your baby's hardening skeleton each day.

0 comments: